May 19, 2011

A Lightning Symphony Revisited


My creative voice has been knocking, pleading with me to let it out. I've let it lay dormant for sometime...too long. Lately, I've begun writing again and the words are promising, but as with anything left on a shelf for too long, they're a bit dusty. I decided to revisit one of my pieces from '09 to see what my mind was up to before I let it drift off to sleep. This is "A Lightning Symphony." 

If only my eyes could hear...

It was day.
The sun was setting through the clouds behind me,
illuminating my path in shades of pink and orange.
I barely noticed when He began to play for me.
Because it was day.

But as I looked ahead
on the path toward my destination
I began to see the subtle notes He played.

***
Three notes of brilliant light
masked within the clouds on my left.

*   *
Two notes, long and sweet on my right.

*******
A barrage of blasts straight ahead of me.

I almost dismissed it...
thought it was something man made.
It couldn't be Him,
Because it was day.

But as I continued to look ahead,
on the path toward my destination,
I realized.

It was a silent symphony played
for a single soul.

His notes continued to light the sky.
Singular parts played in succession.
But there was no rain.

His notes continued to light the sky.
Weaving themselves into three part harmony.
But there was no rain.

This Masterful Conductor,
Creator of Melody,
Weaver of Harmony,
directed each bolt into a
call and response of clouds...

Until they all crescendo into a luminous,
unified sound to illuminate my way
making my destiny as clear as day...
Only to be followed by the silence of a blue-black sky.

As I look ahead
on the path toward my destination,
I face the symphony.
The road is dark and uncertain,
but the storm does not come.

I must go boldly into the unknown
for I must reach my destination.

Lightening illuminates the contours of the clouds
revealing to me the Conductor's secrets.
And I listen.
I am not afraid.
I am in awe.

I boldly proclaim that my storm is
Over.
It cannot overtake me.
But it does begin to rain.

And then I understand that those drops
are my blessings.
They are the Conductor's secrets.

Some travelers on the road with me
do not hear His secrets.
At the first sight of a storm,
some run for cover.
They do not hear His secrets.

Others leave the treacherous road
and await the storm's passing.
They do not reach their destination

Still others choose to ignore the drops
and find themselves in a ditch.
They must be rescued.

And others sleep when darkness falls.
They do not hear His secrets.

But I...
I am listening.
I stand in awe of the beauty of His wonder.
I slow my pace and follow the light He gives me.
I am not afraid.

If only my eyes could hear.

As day turns to night,
and the night grows darker
and the road more uncertain,
the more His light reveals to me.

I almost missed it when it was day.
But now it is night
and I am in the middle of a storm.
And, though I cannot see it,
My eyes are fixed in the direction of my destination.

And just when the darkness surrounds me the most,
He plays for me just one more time.

And one more time.

And one more time.

The music slows, but
never stops.

Though I am uncertain, my tension eases
and my pace slowly increases.
I am not afraid.

The drops slow.
I can see more clearly.
It is still dark,
but there is more light.

Then the drops cease
And still He plays.

And I know,
He did this just for me.
Photo Courtesy: Weatherpix Stock Images



0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP